The Dominican nuns of the Perpetual Rosary will return to Lancaster on Friday for a private ceremony to honor deceased members of their community whose graves have been moved from the grounds of their former monastery in Manheim Township to the new Roman Catholic cemetery in St. Joseph in Lancaster Township. .
Bishop Ronald W. Gainer, Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Harrisburg, will preside over the 11:30 a.m. blessing and dedication of the “Dominican Nuns” section of the cemetery at 175 Charles Road.
Twenty-four graves that previously made up a small cemetery at the Monastery of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in 1834 Lititz Pike have been moved after the nuns dissolved their monastery last September due to dwindling numbers. Charles F. Snyder Funeral Home & Crematory oversaw the exhumations which were arranged and paid for by the nuns.
Sister Marie Clare, a member of the community who died in April and is buried directly in the new cemetery, will also be honored.
Some 70 guests are expected to attend the dedication ceremony at the new cemetery, including the four Dominican nuns who lived at Lititz Pike Monastery before it closed and have since moved to Corpus Christi Monastery in the Bronx.
The former Lititz Pike Monastery property was purchased for $3.5 million by CHI St. Joseph’s Children’s Health, which plans to make it the home of Mary Francis Bachmann School, a new private school in 1st to grade 12 which is expected to open in fall 2023. .
The monastery had operated on the site since 1955.